top of page



We would like to offer our warmest congratulations on your forthcoming Marriage. It is a very special time and we would love to hear from you and help you plan your church wedding.
Will we be able to get married in church?

Anyone who lives within one of our parishes, is over 16 years of age*, and has not been previously married to, or in a civil partnership with, someone still living, has a right to be married in their parish church. However, current law does not allow same sex couples to marry in the Church of England.

*Please note that if you are over 16 but under 18 years of age you will also need your parents’ consent to get married.

Video courtesy of Church of England

Even if you do not live within the parish, you may still be able to be married here if one of you can show at least one of the following qualifying connections to the church or parish, namely that:

  • you have at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months; or

  • you were baptised in the parish concerned; or

  • you were prepared for confirmation in the parish; or

  • you have at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months; or

  • one of your parents, at any time after you were born:

    • has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months; or

    • has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months; or

  • one of your parents or grandparents was married in the parish.

There are special guidelines and procedures on marriage in church to be followed if one or both of you is divorced. There may well be a way forward, but we will need to discuss your situation and explore the possibilities with you. Please contact the Rector.

For further information about the legal aspects of getting married in church, please go to the Church of England website.

What notice do we need to give?
What will it cost?

Normally a minimum of 28 days notice must be given, though most couples will want to plan much further ahead.


In most cases banns will need to be read at the main church service in the parish where you live (and, if you are getting married elsewhere, in the parish where you will be having your wedding), for three Sundays before the ceremony can go ahead.


In certain circumstances it may be possible to use alternative procedures to reduce the period of notice. In cases where one or both partners are not British citizens then additional procedures must be used for the marriage to have legal validity.


Please contact us for further information and guidance.

The fees for the basic marriage service are set nationally by the Church of England each year and may be found here on the Church of England website.


Additional fees to cover things like the services of an organist, bell-ringers and heating the church are set locally each year by the Parochial Church Council.  Ask us about our current fees.

Where do we go from here?

If you decide a church wedding is for you, then please contact us to arrange a meeting. E-mail or ring 07588663755.


We will need some basic information from you and discuss your options for music, readings and other aspects of your wedding.


We also run at least one marriage preparation session each year for couples who are getting married in one of our churches, and you will be invited to attend if you wish to take advantage of this.

bottom of page